Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mainland China - Never Disappoints

This is a restaurant I have gone back to several times in the last few years and it has never let me down!
We dined at the Senapati Road branch for our anniversary. The ambience gets it just right and the service is impeccable. Our visit coincided with a food festival they had on the occassion of the Chinese new year, and we tried some delicacies from the special menu.

The starter we ordered - Drums of Heaven in Hong kong sauce was juicy and tasty. In the main course, we tried out braised chicken in orange and black bean sauce and whole wheat noodles with leeks and shiitake mushrooms, again fantastic stuff. The chicken portion I thought was a little small, just about adequate for two people.

My experience with desserts at Mainland China in the past has not been up to the mark and I've indicated that in the feedback forms I've filled over there. This time, we didn't have to order any dessert at all. While making the dinner reservation, they had asked me if there was a special occasion and accordingly, presented us a nice cake after the main course. The gesture was touching and made our evening, and will make us go back for our next special meal.

The best part of this restaurant is the quiet service. You never have to ask for anything, it's as if they know exactly what you are going to require the next moment. Yet, it never seems as if you are being watched or excessively fussed over.

My verdict: I just love this place, and despite the relatively high price tag, I feel like I derive good value out of the money that I spend. A meal for two a la carte including a drink each can cost from Rs.1000 to Rs. 2000 depending on what you order.

Their branch on Dhole Patil road has a lunch buffet, which is more value for money. Besides, you get to sample a variety of dishes in the buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment