Sunday, February 21, 2010

Post-91 - the attraction begins post the main course

Yes - desserts are among the few praise-worthy things about this restaurant - they have the choicest spread of cakes, mousses and Indian sweets in the lunch buffet. The rest of the stuff in the restaurant has nothing particularly unique to offer, but let's say it's not bad either.

Post-91 is located in lane 6 of Koregaon Park, opposite Kapoor's Yellow Chilly. I believe the name has something to do with the post-liberalization era in India - the relevance beats me. Anyway!
I've visited them 3-4 times as they are conveniently located from my office, have a buffet which makes for a quick working lunch and is generally not that crowded on a week day so it's peaceful. The ambience is decent, service is just about acceptable (though out of the 2-3 times I've been there, I've witnessed a couple of goof-ups), food is ok. I've generally liked the soups they've served, especially the carrot-tomato coriander soup I had there the last time I went.

Even then, I think there are plenty of things that can be got right in this place. First, the buffet spread is a bit hotch-potch. I mean multi-cuisine is one thing, but having too many dishes on board can get quite... err... confusing. For example, what do you eat a chinese stir fry with if the rice items include plain rice and an Indian biryani?

Also, some of the preparations are not exactly what you would call authentic. Sample this, there was an attractive looking salad bar the last time, but unfortunately whatever you asked for (the choices included three different dressings), you would get the same concoction. The cook manning the salad bar was adding whatever was available in front of him and the end result was not very exciting.

These and other experiences reduce the potential of the great place that Post-91 can aspire to be! For the price range (Rs.300 onwards - plus there are at least 2 pricing options in the buffet), let's say its value for money.

My verdict: You could try it out sometime, grab a quick bite if you work around the area and want to take someone out, but don't build too many expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment