Monday, September 9, 2013

The one thing I don't miss about home

Today is Ganesh Chaturthi. There's no way to forget that, is there? Of course there is that Kalnirnay calendar hanging in my kitchen. And then there are scores of posts on social networking sites which ensure you are constantly reminded. Photos, chants and celebrations galore.

This is the time of the year when I would be fuming. At the loud music, at the so-called festival enthusiasm all around, the chants of bappa moraya and the utter waste of money and resources that goes around all over the place. Step out on the streets and there are these people dressed in their finest waiting to make merry at the cost of overall social peace. I pity every year the infants, the old, the ill, the minorities (including atheists like me), birds, dogs, cats and the cattle. I hate to imagine what people do in case of eventualities with clogged roads and unconcerned crowds.

I find no sense of enjoyment in putting together plaster of paris with environmentally unfriendly colors and then dumping them into our water resources. I find no serenity in those loud aartis with no relevance to modern life. I find the hypocrisy even where there is a pertinence unbearable. As a strong follower of Lokmanya Tilak and his preachings, I feel that this is one instance in which he failed to see the Frankenstein his creation would turn into.

To tell you the truth I have come to hate this festival over the years. And this is perhaps motivated by, but in no measure exclusively becoming from, my agnostic tendencies.

Here in Germany this year, I look out the window into glorious sunshine and hear my heart beat. A moment that would have been unimaginable back in my own country this day every lunar year. I know for sure it is one thing I will NEVER miss about not being back home.

Disclaimer: these views and opinions are my own. There is no intention to harm anyone's religious sentiments. I would not dare to do that, would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment