Thursday, June 16, 2011

Monsoon magic

This evening, I positioned myself near the open window in my parents' home to show Bobo the rain. I just enjoy the rain from indoors, and why not? When you have nowhere to go to, no stress in life, watching the rain from the comfort of your window can be an ethereal experience.



It's hard to say whether Bobo really understood what was going on. But she certainly seemed to notice the school children pass by under colorful umbrellas. My sister and I used to sit on the window-sill of our house as children and watch the Mumbai rains for hours. Our feet would be dangling from the designer grill and we would invariably be eating some home-made delights alongside. We had a special diary for 'counting umbrellas'. There would be two columns - black and colored, and we would make tally marks for each umbrella that passed by in that few feet of road that was visible from our window position. When we were busy with our 'activity', people used to morph into umbrellas, of various colors, going at various speeds, at various angles! Later we added a special column for raincoats, to avoid the disappointment of a person passing by in a raincoat especially if the tally were set to hit 50 or 100 or a similar round figure.



I missed my sister like crazy (Love you, sweetie) as I counted out umbrellas for Bobo- both black and colorful. It was easy to see what a long long way we have come in life. And yet there was that joy, for Bobo is going to give me a chance to enjoy those simple pleasures in life all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment