Friday, July 26, 2013

10 things I miss about back home...

These were things I had taken for granted or even worse, thanklessly neglected them! They say you know the value of something when you don't have it. Now I know why 'they' say that. Here is my list of ten:

1) Ceiling Fan:
I did not expect a European summer to be so hot. Back home it was easy. Inside the house, the humble ceiling fan would more than do the trick for you. I miss the oh-so-sweet humming sound of those blades. Somehow the pedestal fan can't match its longer, well-perched cousin.

2) The Broom:
I miss the simple broom and dusting pan every time I have to use these complex contrapments to clean my house. I often wonder about the need to develop such complicated dusters/cleaners with adjustable rods and removable mops and the likes. A simple sweep and the job got done back home too, in a tenth of the time, with the same efficiency!

3) Non-human life:
All around, there was a variety of birds, stray dogs, cats, cows, buffaloes, goats, sheep, pigs that almost made up the landscape back in India. An occasional camel, a rare elephant were visual treats not just for the kiddo but they made my day too. Of course, there are zoos here, but it's not the same! And pet owners aren't always that friendly that you can just walk up to a dog on a leash and pet it. As for the cats, the less said the better.

4) Newspapers:
I miss waking up in the morning and heading for the door first thing to retrieve the daily dose of news, views and more. Sometimes my duties as a mother got in the way of enjoying the newspaper with my morning cup of coffee, and at times I had to make do with just the headlines. But I miss having the newspaper on my center table, available, if and when I wanted to read.

5) Vegetables:
I remember visiting the local veggie mart and frowning every single time. I would loathe the same old selection each time and given my objections to several of those greenies, picking out a week's supply would be tough. I didn't know it would get tougher here. I didn't ever think I would miss karelas, tendli, okra, lauki. Sometimes these are available in Indian stores and I can't believe I actually shout in joy and amass them then!

6) Fruits:
I'm making a separate mention of fruits. Because while some of them are not available, other exotic fruits present a variety of options here. So many berries, peaches, necktarines, varied citrus fruits to choose from. Yet, I miss the chikoos, pears, figs and velchi bananas from back home. Life feels incomplete without them :(

7) The neighborhood stores:
It was sooo easy getting milk or bread back home. Just walk into your neighborhood store and ask for one. It's a bit more complicated here. You have to walk up to the nearest supermarket, look for the item, stand in the billing queue, and come back. Going for 1-2 items seems like a big waste of time. The brighter side: I am getting more and more organized and need lesser and lesser 'loose' items every week thanks to a kitchen that is getting better stocked.

8) The ubiquitous Udipi restaurants:
Oh, I soo miss idli, dosas, sambar, mughlai udipi sabzi and naans, udipi chinese and their puri-bhaji or puri-chana. I have visited a few Indian restaurants here but they serve only the highly 'hyped' Indian dishes, or rather a blander, much westernized version of them. I'm not a spice-eater myself but I miss that taste from back home.

9) Home delivery:
Everything and anything was available at your doorstep back home. Groceries, books, medicines, clothes, even diapers. I miss the convenience of clicking away and getting it delivered in less than a few hours at times. Online shopping is an option here too, but it's very complicated, delivery is paid not free like in India, and there is too much fine print.

10) My car:
I enjoy public transport here. I love the flexibility it provides. I love being free from traffic jams or finding parking spaces. But I do miss my car sometimes. Especially when I have to walk back with a huge bag of groceries, or when it rains (I looovve driving in the rain).

What's on your list? Leave me a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Arpita,
    Nice to read ur blog.. Last year I took a break for one year and stayed in germany for 1 year.. it was kind of an experience... and the points u have listed here get 10 on 10 .. :) Even i like to write and the way u speak ur heart out is very nice.. keep writing..

    ReplyDelete