Monday, July 8, 2013

Treasure trove of warmth

Our local playgroup here is an incredible example of how nice German people can be. I got introduced to the group when the kiddo and I were in a playground. A mother who was observing us, as her daughter played alongside mine, herself got up to me and told me about the local playgroup for children under 3 years. She then went on to take me to the room near the church where they held the sessions and invited me to join on the coming Monday.

I was initially very excited - in a foreign land any offer of friendship can go a long way, it even made my day! But as Monday got nearer, I started to feel a bit jittery. What if we stick out due to our different dressing sense or due to the lack of expensive toys to take along? Will the other kids accept my child? Will I be able to communicate with them in my rather insufficient German? I went feeling very diffident, but there was no harm in trying it out, was there?

To say I enjoyed that first session was an understatement. I was not the only non-native but perhaps the only one with such little knowledge of the language or culture. The ladies were hugely welcoming and went out of their way to make me and kiddo feel comfortable. They revised our names so they could remember them and helped us out with the lyrics and meaning of the lovely native songs that they sang. The session was based on a pre-decided theme and a few activities centered around that theme. Some eats, some songs but mostly just being around other mothers and other kids.

The kiddo blended in with ease. Strangely, kids that age don't need language to communicate! She talked with them in Marathi and they with her in German, and they still got along splendidly. I got along too, feeling comfortable enough to try out a few sentences and some rehearsed Grammar! Loved the response I got from them - warm, loving, encouraging.

I have begun to treasure these Monday mornings when my child gets busy playing alongside her peers and I can sit and relax and listen (even talk some) to ladies my age. I don't think the ladies will ever realise what their hospitality means to me. I'm going to cherish this experience for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment