Thursday, May 7, 2015

Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (no spoilers)

I am a book person. I prefer to read the book over the movie, or at least before watching a movie adapted from the book of the same title. I think that the picture that a book can paint for you cannot be converted into equivalent screenplay no matter how talented the director. I maintain this without exception. There is only one movie that I have seen in my life that came very close to the book: Only Love based on Erich Segal's book of the same name. I think the strength of the movie was in the beautiful music, something that Segal brilliantly described but could not bring to life. The film director could.

Anyway. So the book I want to write about is Gone Girl. Without giving away too much, the protagonist couple has their differences, and one fine day the wife goes missing. The author then takes us through a journey of lies, disbelief and mistrust.

The book starts off slowly and I know of several people who gave up about a third into the book. The ones who persisted emerged spellbound, for Gone Girl is a story you can love and hate at the same time. You can despise the characters but you will love the author for his craftiness, his handiwork, his sheer audacity in penning a story like that. It is simply superb.

I could do a more detailed review but I'd rather you read the book than read this review!

Do not miss Gone Girl. And yes, read it before you watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment