Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike # 2) by Robert Galbraith

It was revealed a little after the Cuckoo's Calling was published that Robert Galbraith is simply a pen name for J.K. Rowling. Well, well! After reading Casual Vacancy, I'd vowed to myself never to pick up a Rowling again. I could not deal with the author of Harry Potter debasing herself to such an extent. Sigh!

But a Rowling by another name... that was different wasn't it? The reviews looked decent so I picked up Cuckoo's Calling and was surprised by the quality of writing. I actually enjoyed it. The plot by itself wasn't much to write home about. But the characters were adorable, just like in HP.

Ever since, I had The Silkworm on my reading list for the local library. I didn't think it warranted a purchase as I didn't find CC that great. After about a couple of months of tracking the book every time I went to the library, I finally laid my hands on it three days ago. And wasn't it worth the wait!

Cormoran, Rowling's detective has evolved and the way the book progresses is reminiscent of Agatha Christie's slow and relaxed style. The plot itself is complicated and keeps the reader guessing. The character of Robin, Cormoran's assistant is so good you can feel her pain at being torn between love for her fiance and loyalty to her boss.

I subjected myself to three nights of sleep deprivation simply because the book was impossible to put down. I can't wait for the third one in the series, and that one, I plan to purchase.

This is a sequel but is pretty independent of the first one, so you could easily pick up #2 before #1 in the series. But once you read The Silkworm, please don't go back to Cuckoo's Calling.

If you are a Rowling fan, and irrespective of whether you liked Casual Vacancy or hated it like I did, please do read The Silkworm. It is such a treat! If you have never read Rowling before, do make haste.


No comments:

Post a Comment