Friday, September 23, 2011

Of Marksheets and Report cards

My father has had this amusing system of allotting 'marks' denoting his level of approval of places, people and things. In his unique system there is no upper limit. You can score 10,000 out of 100 if he likes what you do :-) Besides, scoring is spontaneous and dynamic, with marks fluctuating at his will. I cannot say how much I enjoy his report card evaluation.

I find his scoring of Bobo chan's behaviour most amusing. There cannot be a more appropriate example of favoritism. Haha. There is virtually no objectivity. No matter how much Bobo cries or troubles me, her report card never gets a red mark. Sometimes he threatens her that he will mark her down, but when we are leaving his house, or he's leaving ours, the marks jar is always full and overflowing.

I find myself scoring her performance too. But she never gets nearly the same marks from me as her Ajoba allots her. May be because I'm a mother, and find it harder to evaluate the joys while totally blocking out the trials that come along. Or may be I'm simply not as generous a person as he is :-) Or may be Bobo chan has seen through his system and conveniently tries everything to impress him. What a thought, hahaha!! Aai on the other hand is 'ghar ki murgi'. How does it matter what she scores her, or doesn't! She can't get away from her, and vice versa. What do you say? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment