Thursday, August 15, 2013

Blown away in the sand!

I find the whole concept of the 'spielplatz' or play area here in Germany somewhat unsatisfying. That being the gist of it, let me list down what I like and what I don't.

What I like:
- Each area has at least one spielplatz. It is the responsibility of the local Rathaus or the civic office to ensure that. And they take that job very seriously.
- Each spielplatz caters to children of all ages. From activities for babies and toddlers to basketball courts for  teenagers, there is something in it for everyone.
- Equipment is well designed, safety standards are very high.
- Each spielplatz is unique. You won't find one like another. Very innovative, thoughtful games. E.g. An excavator replica to sit and try out, crocodile spring to jump on, basket swings, maze of pipes.

Now you may wonder where the unsatisfying part comes in! Then let me tell you my issues with these:

- My biggest problem is that all spielplatz have sand on the flooring. This seems mandatory. Children carry their sand toys e.g. pails, shovels, moulds and play in the sand. What's wrong with that you may ask. Nothing. It's a great way to improve co-ordination, motor skills, etc.etc. But my observation is that a child is ONLY playing with the sand for about 80 percent of the time that s/he spends in the ground. I find that very troublesome.
- Let me also mention that the sand never gets cleaned. (How can it?) Which means it's not the most hygienic or ideal surrounding for a child. Especially when it rains, the sand can remain wet for more than a day after.
- Play things are just not adequate. There is mostly just one slide, one swing and one other out of a see-saw or a merry-go-round or a small house. I can't imagine that sustaining a toddler's attention for more than a few minutes at a time, which basically gets us back into the sand each time.
- The baby/toddler area is mostly not properly fenced. Which means you cannot afford to let the child off sight for even a minute.

Now I like to take my daughter out to the ground so that she can get some physical activity, let off some steam, get some organized exercise. With most children around her just sitting around and digging, I find it impossible to continuously prod her alone to swing or slide.

There are two spielplatz around our house but I find my motivation to take my kid to either of those totally waning for the aforementioned reasons. There are several other play areas scattered around the city and these days with the superb weather, I've started taking the kiddo to a new place each time. Hopefully that will give us both some different stimulation each time!

I want to make a studied comparison here with the situation in another developed country so as not to sound like I am cribbing without a reason. When we were in France, we went to at least three play areas in two different cities. Play areas were really 'play' areas. The ones we went to were nicely fenced with just one or two gates. There was this very beautiful soft matting all over, not sand, which made it equally safe for the child and so much easier to clean/maintain. There were so many different kinds of play equipment that my child refused to leave even after an hour (mind you, without sand). Mothers could hang around on the benches lining the sides and keep an eye. They didn't have to be constantly on their toes wondering where the child might run away to next.

With more Europe trips coming up, I find myself just as enthusiastic as the kiddo to visit play areas in different cities/countries. My checklist is ready for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment